Re: screen settings

--- On Wed, 12/24/08, charles zeitler <cfzeitler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: charles zeitler <cfzeitler@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: screen settings
> To: olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 9:33 PM
> >

> > ATI/Radeon cards are kind of problematic.  Guess you
> were bitten in some
> > way as I have :(, as I have an integrated ATI card:
> >
> > 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies
> Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200
> > Series]
> >
> > while I can at least run it, before my machine was
> freezing for no apparent
> > reason.  Do you have any proprietary drivers
> installed?
>

> radeontool ?
I actually do not know much about these, all I've seen is the Xorg module
radeon and another driver called radeonhd?  I do not know where it comes from.  Maybe someone on the list may help here?

> > Also do you have an xorg.conf file in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
>

> no. ( that's odd )
Well, Fedora 10 does not create an xorg.conf file by default so it is not odd.  But however sometimes the computer and monitor do not work well togther that an xorg.conf file fixes things up.  For instance, I could not get a display better than 800x600 with no xorg.conf file.  However I created one by starting up Fedora in level 3(start up fedora and press a key when starting up, then type a 3 after rhgb and quiet parameter) then doing
$ su -
passwd:
# Xorg -configure
tested the driver with the instructions provided
then
# cp xorg.conf.net /etc/X11/xorg.conf
then
# exit