Re: PackageKit has eaten my system (again!)

On Sunday 21 December 2008 22:00:16 DB wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> Hi Anne,
> >>
> >> any suggestions on an address from which to attempt to install them with
> >> RPM???
> >
> > No, but 'rpm -qi pygpgme' and 'rpm -qi python-iniparse' both tell me that
> > they were provided by Fedora Project.  I can only suggest that you might
> > have a mirror problem?
> >
> > python-iniparse was updated on the 12th December, so is it possible that
> > some glitch during that upgrade caused your problem?  Dirty electricity
> > sounds a far more likely culprit than packagekit.
> >
> > Anne
>
> My results:
>
> [Dave@localhost ~]$ rpm -qi pygpgme
> package pygpgme is not installed
> [Dave@localhost ~]$ rpm -qi python-iniparse
> package python-iniparse is not installed
> [Dave@localhost ~]$
>
> Is there a way to tell rpm to go off and search a specific repo?

If they are not installed 'yum install packagename' should pull them in - and
you can list both packages in one command.
> tried rpm --whatprovides yum but that evidently is not acceptable!

It's not apparent from the help file, but I think the command is 'rpm -q
whatprovides ....' but I don't think that would have helped in this situation.
I'd try

yum install pygpgme python-iniparse yum

> (The
> joys of trying to learn a new system!  20 years ago, I had great battles
> with the hard copy manuals.......)

Strange things go wrong when you are first learning, and sometimes it's hard
to know why, but you should soon settle to it, once you get this sorted out.

Anne