Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> The question is simple:
>> Lets use the browser view of nautilus in the next fedora release.
>>
>> I hope this can be done for Fedora 11 (it's just changing one gconf
>> value).
>> All vote plz
>
> What's next? Voting on ssh configuration options?
>
> Mindless +1 and =1 will yield to nothing but number pushing and not a
> serious debate.
>
> I vote that we don't vote on configuration changes and let the upstream
> developers and package maintainers decide.  Voting on every configuration
> change, we would obvious not be getting anywhere.  The decision will be an
> upstream change or in other circumstances, the maintainer of the software in
> question. If the maintainers want to do a survey, they can on their own or
> ask for help if needed.
>

> Rahul

Sorry, Rahul, i disagree with this. I try to get through the redhat
and fedora devs that we, the users (about 5 now if i count right),
just want to see this changed!
Redhat is eager to change things when they might get in trouble if
they have it in.. like codec support. You guys are killing out more
then enough in other packages to save your own asses and you tell us
that you want to follow upstream.. i agree on that with CODE changes.
i disagree on that with config changes! config things are just the the
values set by the creators that they think are best to use. That
doesn't make them THE best settings out there. Don't be so freaking
hard on config changes! And if it must change upstream then do so!
redhad is the lead dev of both fedora and gnome so everything
regarding this config setting is in redhats hands.

Or do you want me to submit a bug report to suggest that config
changes should be allowed in fedora! but code changes shouldn't
(unless it could possibly end up in patent lawsuits)

I am just trying to get a clear signal out that there is something in
fedora that the people using fedora want to see different