Re: F10 - dIsabling IPv4 addressing

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
When I save ifcfg-eth0, NetworkManager reports the network is down.
If I start eth0 in NetworkManager, I get IPv4 addresses.  If I use
ifdown to bring eth0 back down, then ifup, I don't get IPv4 addresses,
only my IPv6 global assignment.

What do I have to do to get the desired behaviour?

You'll be doing yourself a favor if you ditch NetworkMangler and use
the traditional network infrastructure.
    chkconfig network on
    chkconfig NetworkManager off

Since I also have wireless and its use is 'other testing' right now, I did not want to completely stop NetworkManager.

Recently, on some other work on FC9 I learned about NM_CONTROLLED option in ifcfg-ethn. By adding that line to ifcfg-eth0 for my ethernet I got NetworkManager to take its grubby hands off eth0.

you'll want to make sure your /etc/resolv.conf has some
ipv6 nameservers listed.

I am running a caching name server that will have IPv4 Internet connectivity and have v6 for the test systems, so I am 'covered'.

Now I doubt the system is capable of running as a pure ipv6 host
unless someone put in the effort to flush out the last few ipv4
dependencies.  We do have ~3 decades of ipv4 dependencies wired into
the code. There are no doubt lots of programs that were never updated
to use ipv6 sockets.

And I think this is interfering with timings on my testing as apps are still trying IPv4 things THEN ipv6 to be 'more effcient'.

Sigh.