Re: F10 - dIsabling IPv4 addressing

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
When I save ifcfg-eth0, NetworkManager reports the network is down.
If I start eth0 in NetworkManager, I get IPv4 addresses.  If I use
ifdown to bring eth0 back down, then ifup, I don't get IPv4 addresses,
only my IPv6 global assignment.

What do I have to do to get the desired behaviour?

You'll be doing yourself a favor if you ditch NetworkMangler and use
the traditional network infrastructure.
    chkconfig network on
    chkconfig NetworkManager off

(Then run system-config-network and make sure your interfaces are
configured the way you want then.  Save and reboot.)

Yeah. I was afraid of that. Of course that means for the wireless, I get to go the old wpa_supplicant route too. But I am quite an old hand at that also.

    root@poblano # service network restart
    Shutting down interface eth1:                              [  OK  ]
    Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
    Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
    Bringing up interface eth1:                                [  OK  ]
root@poblano # root@poblano # ifconfig eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX inet6 addr: 2001:5a8:4:7d0:2e0:XXff:feXX:8dXX/64 Scope:Global
              inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:XXff:feXX:8dXX/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:2514 (2.4 KiB) TX bytes:3164 (3.0 KiB) Interrupt:19 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:2326924 (2.2 MiB) TX bytes:2326924 (2.2 MiB)

First off, you'll want to make sure your /etc/resolv.conf has some
ipv6 nameservers listed.

Now I doubt the system is capable of running as a pure ipv6 host
unless someone put in the effort to flush out the last few ipv4
dependencies.  We do have ~3 decades of ipv4 dependencies wired into
the code. There are no doubt lots of programs that were never updated
to use ipv6 sockets.

You cannot turn off IPv4 for lo. At least that I have found. The kernel is hardwired for IPv4 and you would have to build your own to rip it out, and then you will probably break a lot. I figure 10 years after we successful transition MOST of the ipv4 dependencies will be moved to unloadable modules (maybe for the 3.8 kernel!)

And for all the talk about IPv6 ready, you are right there are a lot of things we depend on that only work over IPv4. VNC is an example. Only RealVNC SUPPOSEDLY works with IPv4. Maybe the work to switch from VNC to TightVNC for FC11 could include adding IPv6 support....

At the last IETF, there was further talk about redesigning the APIs to only present names to the apps and blocking them from getting IP addresses. And perhaps even 'jimmying' some lower layer parts to control bad behaviour! My HIP effort is one noted as one of the models for replacing what apps see about IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.

Oh, I am logged in as root, so I don't have to futz with permissions
to fiddle with the interface.

Sigh.

Yes, one of these days all this stuff will just work right for regular userids.

And that will be in the 4.9 kernel :>'