Re: Virtualizing XP with dual boot FC10/XP

Hal Meyer wrote:
I have FC10 and Windows dual booted on my PC and would like to
virtualize XP with KVM.
I want to be able to both boot to XP and also virtualize it in FC10
(obviously not at the same time).

When you boot, do you come up in a boot manager? If you tune your grub to do a highly visible boot setup, like 15 sec wait and hidmenu commented out, you could try this:

  qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /dev/sda

and just select the XT partition to boot.

Note: I do not have a way to test this, and I sure wouldn't let it accidentally boot the Linux partition, but I don't see a reason why it would do serious harm if it failed. Usual stuff said about backups and all...

When I try to install a new virtual machine the process wants to install
XP from the CD. Is there a way to just point to the XP partition on the
disk?

No, you want a disk image. And I wouldn't let any install program touch this unless it actually said it could do such a thing. The manual run above should at least give you a feeling for the possibilities.

Vmware workstation claims to be able to do this but there seem to be
other issues with vmware and FC10.

I have seen discussion, VMware will work fine with FC10 after it has a chance to be tuned, but probably isn't a good choice now.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>