Re: Yum repos

2008/12/15 Girish Venkatasubramanian <girishvs@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
> I have been using yum on FC5 (I know I should upgrade - but I don't
> have that option - due to the specifications at work) without any
> issues till about a couple of weeks ago. For the last couple of weeks,
> every time I try to install something via yum I end up getting the
> message "Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core"

Fedora releases are only supported for something like 18 months after
they are released. You're really lucky that your yum repositories have
kept running for as long as they have - and I'm surprised that
anything new has appeared in them during the last year. I strongly
suspect that you'll be missing a number of important security updates.

Fedora is a distribution for people who want to put the effort into
keeping up to date. You need to upgrade it every year or so at least.
If you want an operating system that you can install and continue to
use for years and years without upgrading it, then Fedora is not the
right distribution for you. You should look at something like Red Hat
Enterprise Edition or Centos.

I know you say that you don't have the option of upgrading. To be
honest, I don't think you have the option not to.

Dave...