Re: Volgroup00 not found

Timothy Murphy wrote, On 12/13/2008 10:37 AM:
Braden McDaniel wrote:

I'm probably out of my depth,
but what happens if you boot with Knoppix or some other Linux CD,
and say "sudo vgchange -a y" ?
I don't have a live CD handy; but doing that from rescue mode didn't
seem to have any effect. Of course, by the time I'm in rescue mode,
the filesystems have been located and mounted under /mnt/sysimage. If
any of the logical volumes weren't marked as available, they wouldn't
be locatable during rescue, would they?

As I said, I'm not sure if I am talking sense,
but my impression is that "vchange -a y" will tell you
what LVM volumes can be found,
and make "available" any that are not already available.

I found during a long saga preupgrading from F-9 to F-10 on a SCSI machine
that for some reason my LVM partitions were not found at one point,
and vgchange brought them to light.

Actually, I have had a few problems with LVM during system upgrades,
and have reluctantly decided to withdraw from the LVM world.
The advantages are greatly outweighed by the disadvantages, in my case.

If "vchange -a y" does not do it, IIRC I had to a "vgscan -v" and then "vchange -a y VOLNAME" that vgscan showed.

Unless a person is running a >1 PB monster drive or a system where they play about with VMs and new file systems, I have decided that the trouble in maintenance modes completely outweighs any benefit of LVM.

--
Todd Denniston