Re: F10, VMware Server 2.0, and selinux

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 21:27 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sunday 14 December 2008 18:21:44 Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > As to how long this has gone on, it has since F8 and VMware Server
> > 1.0.x. The only known work-around I am aware of is to disable selinux,
> > after which it runs impressively well. It compiles and runs on F9 and
> > F10 out of the box with no patches needed.
>
> Sorry, Christopher, but I am not posting these replies because I'm a VMWare
> booster. As I stated, my solution may not work for all, but, you are simply
> misstating things, or not speaking clearly.

I think you may have misunderstood my point here. As the OP on this
thread, I asked a question and someone (not you) decided to use that as
a platform to trash VMware. I thought that was inappropriate. I see the
problem I'm having with selinux as an inconvenience at this point, but
would like to know how to fix it.

> To repeat, I am currently running VMWare Server version 1.0.7 build-108231;
> I've been running some version of VMWare server since it was first made
> available free, on several versions of Fedora including this machine, which is
> on F10; I have another machine right beside it that is running F9 and also
> runs VMWareServer; I do NOT disable selinux on any of my machines, ever,
> except for brief testing purposes; VMWare server has been running all day on
> this machine I'm typing on, and I have a WinXP vm running in it through which
> I run Outlook so I can connect to my company's Exchange 2008 mail server.

I have been running VMware Server since it was originally GSX Server 1.0
and a "for pay" product. I've also run VMware Workstation since the
first public beta of version 1.0 - right up through the latest build of
6.5 on F10 on the laptop I'm using to write this. Unity, by the way, has
a few minor flaws, but is otherwise very cool. I'm also a seasoned
VMware Certified Professional (working on a VCDX), so I think I have a
bit of qualified experience with these product lines. At least VMware
seems to think so...

I'm happy to see you have Server 1.0 working with selinux enabled. This
has never worked for me, and if you follow the VMware community forums
(maybe where I should have posted this to begin with), you would see
that I'm not alone in that. With selinux enabled and using a targeted
policy, VMware Server will refuse to start. Placing selinux in
permissive mode to try and catch issues produces the same result. No
errors that I could see/find on it either. If you follow the VMware
Community threads on this, the acknowledged work-around remains
disabling selinux.

I occasionally try re-enabling selinux with no luck. I admit I have not
yet tried that on the latest build of 2.0 on a recently patched F10
system. That build only came out a couple of weeks ago and I've been
traveling heavily - there's only so much of me to go around.

> I am merely posting this because I consider most of the information in this
> thread to be misleading, which could discourage others. It would be useful if
> you really care, to attempt to run VMWare server on your machine, post the
> errors you get, and get some help - to assert that it won't run because you
> can't get it to run, without explaining your procedures is not helpful.

Sorry you feel that way. In light of what I have written above, your "It
works for me, so it must be something you're doing," statement doesn't
make the info I have reported misleading. It just means your experience
has been different (along with your opinion). I have posted this issue
here and elsewhere before. I also have used some of my connections with
technical people I know inside of VMware to find more on the problem.
The answer: disable selinux. As you saw with another post, there is also
an "anti-VMware crowd" lurking who then cries foul on VMware rather than
advocate investigating the problem further. I don't think I have written
anything that would confuse or discourage someone from trying or using
VMware products. I certainly have not done so intentionally.

Since you seem to have VMware Server 1.0 working with selinux on F9 and
F10, perhaps you should post your procedure for loading it. I might be
able to duplicate that with a 2.0 installation. As also has been
mentioned, you should seriously consider that VMware Server 1.x is
reaching EOL, and you really should move to something else shortly.

Outside of the issues with selinux, I repeat that my experiences with
2.0 have been very positive. It's a major step forward from 1.0 as a
server based solution.

I repeat that I would personally not recommend it as a _desktop_
solution - but VMware Server isn't intended for that, and there are
better desktop alternatives. I'm planning to load up another server with
F10 and VMware Server 2.0 this weekend. I'll try this with selinux
enabled again and report back.

Cheers,

Chris

--