Re: Sprint service smartphone recommendation for F10?

> Max Pyziur wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Per the subject line, would anyone have any recommendations on a
>> smartphone under a Sprint plan that smoothly works with F10?
>>
>> Samsung Instinct?
>> The new Palm Centros?
>> One of the Blackberries?
>
> What do you expect to be able to do from the phone?  They would all work

My first PDA was/is a Sharp Zaurus which used UTF-8 encoding. Many of my
contacts are in the FSU, hence the information is in Ukrainian (a bit in
Russian) I'd like to be able to move my contact information to a device
where I can continue to use this information.

I've looked at the Samsung Instinct at a Sprint dealer. While the touch
technology is appealing, I saw that the Instinct's web browser couldn't
display Cyrillic characters, replacing them with empty squares. Looking
briefly through Instinct-related forums to see if a Cyrillic font could be
downloaded, there were none.

Can the Palm Centro handle UTF-8 or are their fonts only 8bit and Cyrillic
is shown in CP1251?

Also, I'm not sure what else to look for in a phone. When picture-taking
phones were introduced, I thought that it was a novelty and a feature that
I would never use. When the choices on an upgrade only included
picture-taking phones, I got one. Now, I see that they are useful,
especially when there is an expedient need where quality isn't as
important as the ability to illustrate the shot (a display in a window, an
emergency situation).

I see that the Instinct has GPS; I generally know where I'm going, but I'm
amazed that when driving during evenings on the New York State Thruway at
how many people have a GPS device of some sort visible through the window.
Perhaps I too would find GPS useful.

Thanks for the reply.

Max Pyziur
pyz@xxxxxxxxx