Re: XkbOptions in xorg.conf being ignored (F10)

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > I'm trying to get an xorg.conf to work in F10.  One of the stanzas
> > that was created by livna-config-display (yes, I'm using the nasty
> > closed-source nvidia driver :-)  is:
> >
> > # Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display
> > <snip>
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > # keyboard added by rhpxl
> >        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
> >        Driver      "kbd"
> >        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
> >        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
> >        Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"     # <== added by me
> > EndSection
> >
> > The last line was added by me.
> >
> > For some reason X, which I start with "startx", is ignoring the
> > XkbOptions.  I think this has something to do with the new "evdev"
> > driver stuff but I don't understand it well enough to know how to
> > proceed.  Would someone tell me the "fix"?  Or tell me what to provide
> > for help.  Thanks.
>
> Wow, almost the same exact question by two different people within an
> hour. ;)

It is remarkable, esp. as I did not see the other post at all, but
learned that something called "evdev" was involved by running

startx -- -verbose 6 > /tmp/startx.log 2>&1

and inspecting the output of startx.log.

> I don't know if it works for sure, but it's probably worth trying what
> I suggested in the other thread:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-December/msg01354.html
>
> This will require a restart of haldaemon and X, at least.

I'll give it a try tonight, but I don't particularly like
the solution, as this appears to be a bug.  In fact,

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-December/msg01410.html

seems to indicate that it is a bug, though I don't pretend to follow
what's going on there.  Looks like I'll have to spend time to
understand this evdev stuff a bit better.

Dean