Re: Workaround for Ksynaptics. (Was preventing people from making a mistake)

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 13:13 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 08 December 2008, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >
> >This point in this thread seems as appropriate as any to mention
> >syndaemon.  It's part of the synaptics (now xorg-x11-drv-synaptics)
> >package.  When it runs, it disables the touchpad while the user is
> >actively typing on the keyboard and re-enables it after a brief pause
> >after the user stops typing.  Sounds very neat.  (I haven't felt the
> >need to actually use it, as I don't have too much trouble with
> >accidental tapping of my current touchpad.)
> >
> >It does require setting SHMConfig, though, so that problem still needs
> >to be addressed.
>
> Not applicable for F8 it appears, from the description of it that I am looking
> at on my yumex screen right now, there is zero, nada, no mention of being
> able to disable it with the currently available synaptics-0.14.6-3.fc8.rpm
> package.  It is as if the old package is gone, and replaced by a totally new
> one without that capability.

I wouldn't look there (at least not now that I'm older and wiser and
know where to look for this particular program).  If you have the
synaptics package installed, try 'man syndaemon'.  I don't have an F8
machine handy anymore, but I'm sure it was there.  It's been there for
many generations of Fedora, and probably before that.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu