Re: Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 14:54 -0500, homburg@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:18:52 -0600
> "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM,  <homburg@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > >
> > > I think that Max was either a tad disingenuous or,
> > > possibly, unaware of the economic model. Redhat spends
> > > considerable sums on Fedora and has a fiduciary
> > > obligation to its shareholders. There is nothing wrong
> > > with that. Not at all. Fedora is a great "product." I
> > > accept it for what it is.
> >

> > While Fedora is beholden to the hand at feeds it,
> > Fedora's primary goal is _not_ to please RedHat.
> >
> Here is Red Hat's Statement in their most recent 10-K
> filed with the SEC in June:
>
> "Red Hat’s participation in the community-driven development
> process is illustrated by Red Hat’s sponsorship role in the
> Fedora Project and the JBoss.org communities. Our
> participation in the Fedora Project and the JBoss.org
> communities enables us to leverage the efforts of this
> international community, which we believe allows us to
> reduce both cost and development time, and lower the risk
> of including products and features in our technologies that
> the market and the community will not accept and support.
> Thus, we are able to use the Fedora Project and the
> JBoss.org communities as proving grounds and virtual
> laboratories for new technology that we can draw upon for
> inclusion in our enterprise technologies. Additionally, the
> open and transparent nature of these projects provides our
> clients and potential clients with access and insights to
> the direction of these projects. "

a) The question about how much money Redhat spends on Fedora is
irrelevant.  Redhat needs Fedora.   Redhat didn't decide to support
Fedora out of the goodness of their hearts.  Fedora users are Redhat's
key to innovation.

b) The above quote doesn't say anything about the intended software
quality in the Fedora project.  All it says is that its a test bed.
That doesn't mean its a testbed of beta software.  As a matter of fact,
how can you gauge the usefulness of a piece of software if its beta
quality ?