Re: Fedora 10 ctf-alt-F2

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 5:43 AM, Patrick Dupre <pd520@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:

Em Qui 04 Dez 2008, Patrick Dupre escreveu:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Patrick Dupre <pd520@xxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:

Hello,

Since I moved from Fedora 7 to Fedora 10, I lost the functionality
of the ctl-alt-Fx in a X session.
In text mode every works fine, but from a X session, it breaks
jsut the session.

thank for your help.

Hmm. switching to virtual consoles tty2 through tty6 works for me
using the keyboard shortcuts.

in F10  runlevel 5  the X session now starts on the first virtual
terminal which is mapped to ALT-CTRL-F1 but the second virtual
terminal at ALT-CTRL-F2 should still exist as a console login.
run this command: ps aux |grep mingetty
you should see mingetty running on tty2 through tty6   by default
if you started in runlevel 5.

this is correct, but I start in runlevel3
I log in tty1, then startx
Then if I make Ctl-Atl-F2, it scratches the X session.

What does this mean exactly? You can't change to TTY2 or you change to
TTY 2 and after that you're unable to get back to the X session?

Yes I can go to tty2, but at the same time it breaks the X session
(I cannot go back of course by doing Ctl-Alt-F7, ie, when I try do
do it, I am back in tty1, where I started x, in tty mode).
I am using gnome

Stupid question, but are you sure it's switching back to VT1? As has
already been said, F10 runs the X session on VT1, not VT7. Switching
to VT7 will give you a console session, which is apparently what
you're seeing. If so, it's working correctly.

Let say, I startx a X session from tty1 (startx), then, what never I do:
Ctl-Alt-Fx (x=1-10), it breaks the X session and I am back to tty1 with the following messages (is their a log file for the X session ?)

8:/usr/bin/X(xf86Wakeup+0x369)
9:/usr/bin/X(WakeupHandler+0x52)
10:
11:
12:
13:/lib/libc.so.6(--libc-shut-main+0xe5)

Fatal server error
Caught signal 11. Server aborting
finished PPL2
finished PPL1