Re: FC11: Two Suggestions

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:40 PM,  <homburg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:14:59 -0600
> "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> How is Sugar related to KDE though?
>
> It's not. However, I SUSPECT that there might be more
> people who want KDE-3.5 than Sugar. It's worth exploring.
> It could be just me but I don't think so due to discussions
> that I have seen on other forums. My impression is that
> there is a fairly sizable group of 3.5x users who won't
> change to 4.

I'm suggesting that the _fact_ that there is no KDE 3.5 or KDE 3.5
SIG, means that what ever interest there is is not enough. There is no
one preventing parallel KDE 3.5 in Fedora.

>> > Again, I am not knocking KDE4. However, it is a radical
>> > departure from something that I have been using since
>> > RH-9, possibly earlier.
>>
>> KDE 3.5 was fairly different than what was in RH-9 if I
>> remember correctly.
>
> Not really IIRC. Moreover, this is the first KDE release
> since then without an upgrade path. New releases have added
> features and horsepower but have been consistent in
> approach.

Fair enough.

>> This is an attempt to protect the innocent and
>> uninformed. The very people who shouldn't be logging in
>> as root. Those who have enough information to make the
>> decision for themselves generally can make the switch
>> themselves as well.
>>
> That makes sense until you have a bunch of problems with a
> new installation and need to figure out how to make the
> edit to log into a UI as boot. It's not up to Fedora to
> protect me from my own stupidity - that would be a losing
> proposition from the outset ;-)

Ok. I suggest you start a SIG to spin a version of Fedora with all
these stuff put off. I am pretty sure that you're not going to get a
majority of the Fedora workers to agree that preventative measures
should be removed distro wide.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )