Re: FC11: Two Suggestions

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:36 PM,  <homburg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. I don't want to start a KDE food fight. I suspect that
> it's a generational thing. In any event, I would think that
> enough interest exists in the 3.5x "branch" to reconsider
> including it on the install media. How many people are
> installing "Sugar?"

The fact that it hasn't happened says that there isn't enough
interest. Anyone is free to pick it up, and run with it.

How is Sugar related to KDE though?

> Again, I am not knocking KDE4. However, it is a radical
> departure from something that I have been using since RH-9,
> possibly earlier.

KDE 3.5 was fairly different than what was in RH-9 if I remember correctly.

> 2. The release notes: "This is to support gdm no longer
> allowing the root user to log in to the graphical desktop."
>
> While this is consistent with best practices and can be
> changed by editing the file in pam.d, it just seems to me
> that Fedora should not be making this decision for users.
> Particularly on the first boot into a new system, some find
> it very advantageous to log in as root. It's really up to
> the end user to determine their threshold for risk
> tolerance.

This is an attempt to protect the innocent and uninformed. The very
people who shouldn't be logging in as root. Those who have enough
information to make the decision for themselves generally can make the
switch themselves as well.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )