Re: Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Nigel Henry wrote:
>On Saturday 29 November 2008 17:35, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Hi there Gene.
>> >
>> >I think I'd disable Pulseaudio temporarily, and you can do that by just
>> >removing the package, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.
>>
>> Now done, but not done an x restart yet.  Now I have, and I can now hear
>> cnn.com's video's.
>
>Well that's one problem resolved. Any idea which soundcard it is playing
>through?

Probably explained below, the Audigy2 is where most of my cables are plugged
into.

>> >If your using KDE, removing
>> >that package will also remove the kde-settings-pulseaudio package. You
>> > can always reinstall them later, but IIRC Pulseaudio has problems with
>> > multiple cards, but I may be wrong there.
>>
>> I believe you are correct at this point.
>>
>> >Can you post the output from a few commands, as below.
>> >
>> >cat /proc/asound/cards
>>
>>  0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]
>>                       Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] (rev.0, serial:0x10011102)
>> at 0xac00, irq 17
>>  1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>>                       HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 21
>>  2 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
>>                       HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfddfc000 irq 16
>>
>> >cat /proc/asound/version
>>
>> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.
>
>F8 comes with alsa driver 1.0.16, and as you have 1.0.18rc3, you obviously
>have no problems in upgrading the alsa driver. It may be worth upgrading to
>the latest snapshot of the alsa driver. Link below.
>http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/
>
>> >grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
>>
>> /proc/asound/card1/codec#0:Codec: Analog Devices AD1988B
>
>The codec above is for the onboard soundcard
>
>> /proc/asound/card2/codec#0:Codec: ATI ATI R6xx HDMI
>
>The one above appears to be something to do with a sound component on the
>onboard graphics card, that also uses snd-hda-intel, and is to do with sound
>on HDMI.

Video isn't onboard, its a PCI-e card, a Diamond HD-2400-Pro, ATI chopset
NV610.
[...]
>Having only one soundcard (the onboard hda intel one), no doubt explains why
> I don't have the Multiselector click bar. I'll have to get hold of a cheap
> soundcard to add as a second card to this machine, and see if the
>Multiselector click bar turns up in Kmix. If nothing else it may be usefull
>in helping folks out that have more than one soundcard like you have.
>
>> >but
>> >you can get to the controls for the individual cards (presuming they all
>> > show up in /proc/asound/cards), by opening alsamixer on the CLI, as
>> > below.
>> >
>> >alsamixer -D hw:0                (that's for card0)
>>
>> Gets me the audigy2's controls
>>
>> >alsamixer -D hw:1                (for card1, and so on)
>>
>> Gets me the HDA-Nvidia controls
>> and:
>> alsamixer -D hw:2
>> Gets me the single control for the
>> Card: HDA ATI HDMI
>>  Chip: ATI ATI R6xx HDMI
>>

>> I am interested in the intel stuff only if it can do everything the
>> Audigy2 can.  If that's the case, I'll remove it from the machine.
>
>The intel card isn't going to do what the audigy 2 one can. The audigy2
>(emu10k1) is capable of dealing with multiple audio streams, although Alsa's
>Dmix works around some of these problems so that you can play more than one
>app at the same time on non audigy (emu10k1) cards.
>
>A while back I remember you saying that you were using skype with the
> onboard card, and the audigy card for other audio apps, and it was working
> fine. This I assume was on another PC. I may be wrong, but don't think the
> hda intel card on it's own is going to do this.

I gave up on skype, the lags in transmission made it difficult to actually
carry on a two way conversation.  It has IIRC been turned into a fee service
too.

>> My present /etc/modprobe.conf:
>> ========
>> alias eth0 forcedeth
>> alias scsi_hostadapter libata
>> alias scsi_hostadapter1 pata_amd
>> alias scsi_hostadapter2 sata_nv
>> alias scsi_hostadapter3 pata_jmicron
>> alias scsi_hostadapter4 ahci
>> options snd cards_limit=8
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
>> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
>> alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
>> options snd-hda-intel index=1
>> alias snd-card-2 snd-hda-intel
>> options snd-hda-intel index=2
>> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
>> options snd-usb-audio index=7
>> =========
>> That is what re-arranges the card order to make the Audigy2 the default in
>>
>> >All the best.
>> >
>> >Nigel.
>>
>> Thanks Nigel, a bunch.
>
>The question is. Can you now get access to both cards, so that you can
> select one or the other when using an audio app.

I doubt it since most apps want Hw:0 and have no means of selecting another.

Skype was the singular exception to that that I have found. TBT, I didn't look
that hard for others either.

Thanks Nigel.

--
Cheers, Gene