Re: Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

On Saturday 29 November 2008 17:35, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 29 November 2008, Nigel Henry wrote:
> >On Saturday 29 November 2008 06:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings;
> >>
> >> Up2date reinstall of the latest FU8 respin.
> >>
> >> The various audio devices found by an lspci -vv on this mobo are:
> >> ======
> >> 00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio
> >> (rev a2) Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81f6
> >>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> >>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> >> ======
> >> 01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
> >>         Subsystem: Creative Labs Unknown device 1001
> >>         Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
> >>         Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1
> >> =======
> >> 03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa10
> >>         Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device aa10
> >>
> >>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> >>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> >> =======
> >>
> >> And there is also a pcHDTV-3000 which has a connexant audio but its
> >> obviously a mic level output, and since tvtime doesn't work on the video
> >> card associated with the last device listed above, the point is moot
> >> till it does work.
> >>
> >> The first device above I have not been able to get a peep out of, so
> >> I've made the second one, the Audigy2, the default.  And I have NDI
> >> where to plug anything that looks like audio into that ATI based
> >> HD-2400-Pro video card, but lspci says its there.
> >>
> >> Testing the sound for the audigy2 in system-config-soundcard works, but
> >> places like utube are silent.  As is cnn et all since the last reboot.
> >>
> >> 2 questions:
> >>
> >> do we have a 'vu meter' that can be switched to monitor the various
> >> audio inputs?
> >>
> >> And when I had to reinstall, I see that pulseaudio was installed, and a
> >> now frozen 'lsof|grep audio' returns this, but has not returned a
> >> prompt. [root@coyote cards]# lsof |grep audio
> >> pulseaudi  3473      root  txt       REG        8,3    57972
> >> 53801556 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
> >> artsd      3528      root  mem       REG        8,3    96380
> >> 53795593 /usr/lib/libaudio.so.2.4
> >> artsd      3528      root  mem       REG        8,3   171580
> >> 5603705 /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so.0.0.2
> >>
> >> Is this yet another case where I need to remove as much PA as I can in
> >> order to get working sound again, or is there a configurator for this
> >> PITA that might be able to fix this?  The silence here is deafening.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Gene
> >
> >Hi there Gene.
> >
> >I think I'd disable Pulseaudio temporarily, and you can do that by just
> >removing the package, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.
>
> Now done, but not done an x restart yet.  Now I have, and I can now hear
> cnn.com's video's.

Well that's one problem resolved. Any idea which soundcard it is playing
through?

> >If your using KDE, removing
> >that package will also remove the kde-settings-pulseaudio package. You can
> >always reinstall them later, but IIRC Pulseaudio has problems with
> > multiple cards, but I may be wrong there.
>
> I believe you are correct at this point.
>
> >Can you post the output from a few commands, as below.
> >
> >cat /proc/asound/cards
>
>  0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]
>                       Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] (rev.0, serial:0x10011102) at
> 0xac00, irq 17
>  1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>                       HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 21
>  2 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
>                       HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfddfc000 irq 16
>
> >cat /proc/asound/version
>
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.

F8 comes with alsa driver 1.0.16, and as you have 1.0.18rc3, you obviously
have no problems in upgrading the alsa driver. It may be worth upgrading to
the latest snapshot of the alsa driver. Link below.
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/

> >grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
>
> /proc/asound/card1/codec#0:Codec: Analog Devices AD1988B
The codec above is for the onboard soundcard
> /proc/asound/card2/codec#0:Codec: ATI ATI R6xx HDMI
The one above appears to be something to do with a sound component on the
onboard graphics card, that also uses snd-hda-intel, and is to do with sound
on HDMI.

> >/sbin/lsmod | grep snd
>
> snd_emu10k1_synth       7168  0
> snd_emux_synth         32512  1 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_seq_virmidi         6272  1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_seq_midi_emul       6784  1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_emu10k1           134560  2 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_rawmidi            19968  2 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1
> snd_ac97_codec         97312  1 snd_emu10k1
> ac97_bus                2432  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_hda_intel         399664  2
> snd_seq_dummy           3588  0
> snd_seq_oss            29824  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      7040  2 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                47664  8
> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,
>snd_seq_midi_event snd_pcm_oss            37888  0
> snd_mixer_oss          14720  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                66308  4
> snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_device          7308  7
> snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_
>seq_oss,snd_seq snd_util_mem            4352  2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
> snd_timer              19976  3 snd_emu10k1,snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd_hwdep               7684  3 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_hda_intel
> snd                    48292  20
> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_h
>da_intel,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_devic
>e,snd_timer,snd_hwdep snd_page_alloc          9224  3
> snd_emu10k1,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> soundcore               7136  1 snd
>
> >If you leave Pulseaudio enabled, alsamixer only shows a single control,
>
> I've been using kmix, which can show all 3 'cards'.  Multiselector click
> bar.

Having only one soundcard (the onboard hda intel one), no doubt explains why I
don't have the Multiselector click bar. I'll have to get hold of a cheap
soundcard to add as a second card to this machine, and see if the
Multiselector click bar turns up in Kmix. If nothing else it may be usefull
in helping folks out that have more than one soundcard like you have.

> >but
> >you can get to the controls for the individual cards (presuming they all
> > show up in /proc/asound/cards), by opening alsamixer on the CLI, as
> > below.
> >
> >alsamixer -D hw:0                (that's for card0)
>
> Gets me the audigy2's controls
>
> >alsamixer -D hw:1                (for card1, and so on)
>
> Gets me the HDA-Nvidia controls
> and:
> alsamixer -D hw:2
> Gets me the single control for the
> Card: HDA ATI HDMI
>  Chip: ATI ATI R6xx HDMI
>

> I am interested in the intel stuff only if it can do everything the Audigy2
> can.  If that's the case, I'll remove it from the machine.

The intel card isn't going to do what the audigy 2 one can. The audigy2
(emu10k1) is capable of dealing with multiple audio streams, although Alsa's
Dmix works around some of these problems so that you can play more than one
app at the same time on non audigy (emu10k1) cards.

A while back I remember you saying that you were using skype with the onboard
card, and the audigy card for other audio apps, and it was working fine. This
I assume was on another PC. I may be wrong, but don't think the hda intel
card on it's own is going to do this.

> My present /etc/modprobe.conf:
> ========
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias scsi_hostadapter libata
> alias scsi_hostadapter1 pata_amd
> alias scsi_hostadapter2 sata_nv
> alias scsi_hostadapter3 pata_jmicron
> alias scsi_hostadapter4 ahci
> options snd cards_limit=8
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel index=1
> alias snd-card-2 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel index=2
> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=7
> =========
> That is what re-arranges the card order to make the Audigy2 the default in
>

> >All the best.
> >
> >Nigel.
>
> Thanks Nigel, a bunch.

The question is. Can you now get access to both cards, so that you can select
one or the other when using an audio app.

Nigel.