Re: F10 hard lock issue

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Richard Shaw wrote:

>>> Actually I did end up trying something like that, so it is now fully
>>> updated...
>>>
>>> Here's a few conditions I've discovered:
>>>
>>> When I log in it seems I have 10-25 minutes before it locks.
>>> If I don't log (leave at login screen) in it does not lock up, but it
>>> locks up almost immediately when I do log in.
>>> It's seems to only be a GUI lock. I can SSH into the machine, however
>>> top doesn't show any process using 100% cpu.
>>>
>>> Any and all ideas are appreceated. This is actually the wife's laptop
>>> which I recently converted to linux. She was a happy F9 user but when
>>> my preupgrade upgrade went so well on my laptop I decided to upgrade
>>> her's as well. Needless to say she's less than thrilled right now.
>>>
>> You must be a newlywed to mess with your wife's *anything* until/unless you
>> are asked to do so. My wife is still on FC7, and she is happy with it. She
>> is behind two levels of firewall, and her (seamonkey) browser is fully
>> updated, and mail goes through my corporate filters, not some ISP.
>>
>> You might diddle the graphics settings on the boot line, video= and/or
>> xdriver= may help. Post video hardware and dmesg details here, hopefully
>> someone can offer useful hints.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --
>> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
>
> Well so far today it has been working. BTW, is there a command line
> way to get network manager to connect to wireless? I went to console
> on boot up and was trying to get a connection without logging in (so
> it wouldn't lock up) but couldn't find a way. I ending up logging in
> and immediately going to a virtual terminal.
>
> It's a Radeon 200M video chipset, Plymouth looks great BTW. I was
> thinking of disabling selinux since I was getting AVC errors in the
> system tray, something about updatedb trying to access .gconf2. I did
> the restorecon -v thing it suggested but don't know if it's related to
> the lockup issue.
>
> Actually it just locked up when I was typing this message. Gmail saved
> the draft and I'm finishing it from my laptop. Something interesting
> to note. I used to fix most issues like this by doing a gdm-restart.
> Now under F10 I'm getting "Operation not supported". I did a
> gdm-safe-restart and then the lapop locked up fully (I lost my ssh
> session and couldn't log back in.). The requested dmesg output to
> follow. I've got it saved to a text file but have to get it off her
> computer or post it before it locks up.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> --

I had problems with a fglrx (radeon) driver and have an open ticket
which never went far.  I went so far as to get a serial cable and
captured the logs from an alternate system - i forget the exact
message but it pointed to the driver. I then switch X drivers from
fglrx to radeon and no freezes. maybe boot to runlevel 3, switch
/etc/X11/xorg.conf from fglrx to radeon -- not sure it this is the
correct protocal for changing the X drive (please correct if wrong),
then start X (startx). Note that when I had this kind of problem I
could boot in runlevel 3 and startx with the original driver and it
wouldn't freeze -- strange. With the radeon driver it worked no
matter.  -- gary