Re: F10 hard lock issue

Richard Shaw wrote:
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:48 PM, gary artim <gartim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just upgraded my wife's laptop to F10 from F9 using preupgrade.
other than not having enough free space (had to make some) the install
went perfectly. Now I'm having a lockup issue.

When it first starts everything hard locks. Then I hear the DvD head
moving, some time later I can turn the caps lock on and off but there
is a significant delay. Also, the mouse cursor works but nothing else
does. I can't do Ctl-Alt-Backspace or get to any of the virtual
terminals. Scanning through /var/log/messages I don't see anything
useful. Any ideas on where to start? This thing was rock solid under
F9.

Compaq laptop Turion 64 1.8GHz w/ Radeon 200M chipset. 1GB system ram.
Broadcom wireless using native driver.

Thanks,
Richard

you could try adding to the grub boot screen a trailing 3 to boot without
a graphics interface...then login as root and type 'yum update'.
That's if you can
get this far... -- Gary

Actually I did end up trying something like that, so it is now fully updated...

Here's a few conditions I've discovered:

When I log in it seems I have 10-25 minutes before it locks.
If I don't log (leave at login screen) in it does not lock up, but it
locks up almost immediately when I do log in.
It's seems to only be a GUI lock. I can SSH into the machine, however
top doesn't show any process using 100% cpu.

Any and all ideas are appreceated. This is actually the wife's laptop
which I recently converted to linux. She was a happy F9 user but when
my preupgrade upgrade went so well on my laptop I decided to upgrade
her's as well. Needless to say she's less than thrilled right now.

You must be a newlywed to mess with your wife's *anything* until/unless you are asked to do so. My wife is still on FC7, and she is happy with it. She is behind two levels of firewall, and her (seamonkey) browser is fully updated, and mail goes through my corporate filters, not some ISP.

You might diddle the graphics settings on the boot line, video= and/or xdriver= may help. Post video hardware and dmesg details here, hopefully someone can offer useful hints.

Good luck!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>