Re: has K3B been abandoned?

On Friday 28 November 2008, Tim wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 09:48 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I have never had a drive, and by now I've had 7 or 8 of them hit the
>> bin, a computer compatible cd or dvd drive that recognized a disk in
>> under 30 seconds.
>
>I can't say that I've timed them, but I'd guess my experience is getting
>close to that.  Most drives are slow to figure out that there's a disc
>in, spin up, find out what type, and then the OS has to periodically
>probe the drive to see if it's not empty (there's a hardware disc change
>flag, but I'm told it's rarely made use of, where the drive tells the
>system there's been a disc change).
>
>The best drive I've got is an older, 6x spin speed, SCSI CD-ROM.  It's
>faster to get going, is faster to restart after it's gone idle for a
>moment, and very fast to seek across the drive.  Because of that, for
>many things it's quicker to use than a faster spin speed drive.  Of
>course it was a damn expensive drive, and none of my current systems
>have a SCSI host.

Pursuant to my long time bitch about k3b not waiting for the drive to accept
the disk, I ran thru my services and stopped anything that looked like a bus
scanner, then tested it by inserting a good dvd to see what the system did.
Nothing, not even a log entry.

So I then used k3b to burn the F10-i386-DVD.iso and told it to verify.  Of
course it failed the verify, pulled the disk back in and reported "no media"
about .2 seconds or less from the drawer closing.

I stopped k3b, and did this:

[root@coyote Fedora-10-i386-DVD]# dd if=/dev/sr0|sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso: OK

So once again all the other excuses, having been removed from the scene, are
proven to just excuses, k3b needs fixed.  And it should be using sha1sum too.

Somebody said konqueror had that built in, but I looked its menu's over
without seeing that.  How does one enable this?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)