Re: does the DVD ISO for F10 ever change?

Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 11:12 -0700, stan wrote:
eg  rpm -qa > package-list.txt

Edit this to make it a shell script with yum and run it.

eg yum -y update  package name on each line.

This was my first idea, just put backslashes at the end of each line, easy with an edit macro.

An improvement could be to modify your package list text file to change
the line feeds to blank spaces, then feed that to one yum command.  A
problem with that *may* be if the list was very long.

Yeah, it is the same as a yum update with lots of packages. It takes forever and any interruption wrecks the whole transaction. It also takes a lot more resources, so if you have constraints, the individual updates will work better. I'd imagine that the intermittent download of a few packages at a time is easier on the servers too though that might be a questionable assumption. Note that I'm not necessarily looking for the *fastest* solution, just a stable dependable solution.

Of course, if your next upgrade is an install, you could give that
package list to anaconda, and let it handle it.

Thanks for the pointer. There is no man page but a search turns up http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda as the main page and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options for command line options and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart for kickstart scripting for anaconda.

I'll look into this as a means of update and install.