Re: Disable mouse buttons

Chris Tyler wrote:
On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 10:32 -0600, Bradley wrote:
Hello, here is a question I'm sure rarely, if ever gets, asked.

How do I disable some of my mouse's buttons for a specific user? I have a 4 button mouse plus a scroll wheel (which also acts as another button) and for one user want to disable all (including the scroll wheel) but the left and right buttons. I am using FC8 with GNOME.

Reason? We are trying to teach our son how to use a computer but a lot of the software doesn't distinguish between the left mouse button and some of the others and we want to make it so that if he presses one of the extra buttons nothing will happen. Any ideas or suggestions?

This change MUST NOT affect the other user accounts and must be localized to the one user. Your help is appreciated.

Bradley

Try:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 15 3 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 2"

This will map buttons other than 1 and 3 to high button numbers, which
most applications will ignore. (Note that buttons 4 and 5 are typically
the scroll wheel). You can put it in the ~/.bash_profile

-Chris

Unfortunately, my Xserver is not run through a BASH shell and so anything I put in the .bash_profile will be ignored. Thanks anyway.

Bradley