Re: Moving Fedora 9 Hard Disk To Another System

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Manish Kathuria
<mkathuria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For a large installation of Fedora 9 we are cloning an updated system
> on identical hard disks and then using that hard disk on other
> systems. Most of the systems are either Pentium 4 or Core Duo
> processor based and are capable of running the same kernel (i686) The
> minor problems being faced include difference in network card drivers
> requiring reconfiguration . However in certain cases, though we are
> able to successfully boot Fedora 9 on a system using a cloned hard
> disk but if the same hard disk is moved to another system having a
> different motherboard, the system boot process comes to a halt after a
> few steps as it is not able to locate the file systems on the hard
> disk. The GRUB screen is displayed indicating that the MBR is being
> read properly. Can there be a likelihood of the disk geometry being
> interpreted in different manner leading to non recognition of
> filesystems ? I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

I have done this and seen this same problem.  The previous poster's
suggestion about the modules is probably right.  If you google for
"installing Fedora 5 on an external usb hard disk", you will probably
learn about this the same way I did.  The install on a PC selects some
hardware devices and compiles the into the initrd file, and if you
take the disk to another system (assuming you do not use UUID in the
grub.conf file) , then it will often work, but not always.   The hard
part is to figure which module is missing.

So, with the CURRENT KERNEL on the working disk, you can put the
modules for usb and scsi in the initrd like so:

mkinitrd --with-usb --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage
--preload=scsi_mod --preload=sd_mod ./usbinitrd-`uname -r` `uname -r`

Then you reconfigure grub.conf to use that initrd.

Here's the bad news for you.

When the kernel is updated, the Fedora 9 framework will rebuild a new
initrd and it will  NOT have the special modules in it.  On fedora
systems, I found no simpler solution than to edit the new-kernel
script and change the modules that were assumed.   Otherwise, the boot
up will fail just like you have been seeing.  On Ubuntu linux, I've
learned that the required modules can be configured in
/etc/modprobe.conf or someplace similar, and the initrd builder takes
notice of it.

> Thanks,
> --
> Manish Kathuria