Re: Document Scanners that work with F9

Bill Davidsen wrote, On 11/15/2008 09:35 PM:
Dave Feustel wrote:
I'm looking for a document scanner that works well with F9.
Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Epson CX7400 printer and scanner work with FC6, using the driver from the vendor. As of FC8 or early FC9 the driver wasn't updated. Since I can keep FC6 running safely behind a firewall, as a device controller, I can live with that, although I would like to upgrade o/s at some point.

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_CX7400
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=epson&model=cx7400&bus=any&v=&p=

looks like you need:
gutenprint 5.something
sane epkowa 2.12.0

not sure which versions are in F10 but it looks like at least the printing functions may be supported in F9, and I have never investigated how hard it is to use an updated sane back-end with fedora.

BTW there are nice databases that have been put together for devices that work with Unix:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/DatabaseIntro
http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl