Re: any drawbacks to 64-bit versus 32-bit install?

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 09:27:51 -0500,
  "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   perhaps a dumb question but i have to toss together a temporary
> linux box for someone to take to a trade show, so i'm going to install
> f10 preview on one of my gateway mx7120s, which has a 64-bit AMD CPU.
> obviously, either a 32-bit or 64-bit install will work fine, but are
> there any compelling reasons why i might want to use the "safer"
> 32-bit version?  i don't know of any, but i'm willing to be persuaded
> one way or the other.  i have no strong opinions on the topic.

I ran accross an interesting reason to want to use 64 bit these days, on LWN.
Typical video card memory is now comparable in size to the address space used
for the kernel on 32 bit systems. This causes some inefficiencies in using
the memory on video cards.