Re: advice for data recovery

Dave Stevens wrote:
Hello All,

I am trying to recover .jpgs that were on a SATA drive that was formatted by mistake. No backup of course. Foremost has done a wonderful job of recovering several tens of thousands of files. Unfortunately many of them are either irrelevant (cached web fragments, etc.) or damaged. The most common type of damage is shown when trying to view them in Nautilus, when I get a message saying, "unsupported marker type."

It seems about 30% - 40% of the files recovered are damaged in this way.

They aren't my images and I am not able to gauge what is worthwhile or not but I would like to do some triage by only considering those of a certain minimum size (easy to do) and not damaged (no idea.)

So does anyone know of a program I can use to only copy files that are not damaged? I can sort out the teenies, but don't see how to proceed after that.
TIA.

Dave

My sympathies. I did the same thing. I did a backup but forgot one sub folder. Shame on me.

In the recovery, I ended up with 180Gigs of recovered files to go through. Not pleasant.

I have not found a program that can check and confirm the accuracy of the recovered files as they are all listed as images if I type in
   file {file name}

What I have done is use "GQview" and look at the thumbnails.

My procedure is/was this.

With all the recovered images, I wrote a short bash script to sort them into smaller sub-directories. This cut the number of images down to 10K or 20K per directory.

Next I opened the directory in GQview. With thumbnails turned on, this takes minutes, depending on the size of the folder.

I then sort the directory by file size. This helps to eliminate smaller files from having to be viewed. I guess I could write a script to rm these files anyway. See later.

Now with the thumbnails, I can quickly scan the directory for images. I will use the mouse to drag and drop the file in the parent directory. When scanning, the scrolling slows/stops for real images over corrupted files.

I know my images from my camera are larger than 2M each but the recovery software would pull any images it can and thus I sometimes have recovered a smaller version of the image where the full image is gone.

I still have over 100Gig to go through.

I now backup my photos to DVD as soon as I take them off the stick.

One note about recovery software. As I did this at home, I cannot remember what program I used. But what I did find out was it didn't look at the headers for the images from my camera. I needed to change the header info in a configuration file. I did a test on a memory stick to ensure I was looking at my images.

--
Robin Laing