Re: A New fedora user question

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 11:03 -0500, Jeff Maxwell wrote:
> Well, I have a fresh install of Fedora 9 and when I've accessed a WEB
> page requesting Adobe Flash, I followed the instructions to install
> it. After installation, Fire Fox plug-ins still do not register that
> Adobe Flash is installed.

That's still a bit vague.  There's a plethora of different instructions
on the web, we don't know which ones you've followed.

But I've rarely ever got that (*) sort of thing to work on any browser,
on any OS.  It nearly always fails in one way or another:  It goes
through the motions, but won't start installing, or whatever's installed
doesn't work.

* Getting Flash to install from a webpage that says I need to add a
  plug-in, and it tries to arrange it.

What has worked just about flawlessly for me, is to install the Adobe
repo, go to <http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/> pick the YUM for Linux
option, download and install it.  Then, in the command line, as root,
do:  yum install flash-plugin libflashsupport

Afterwards, any time you do a yum update, or use the updating graphical
doodah that notifies you from the taskbar panel, it's self maintaining.

I'd be tempted to remove all flash software you've installed, then try
installing it the way I've outlined above.  Do the removal properly, if
it's been RPM installed, then RPM erase it.  Don't just delete the
files, or move them about.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686