Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 22:06 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>         I've followed all the kind advice in this thread, and also
> fiddled and futzed and fooled between whiles -- chiefly by deleting
> superfluous printers that had crept in, a finite series of them, but a
> tedious one. I kept deleting till I got down to the one right printer,
> if I could, and then configuring that, over and over. And I have a
> partial result.
>
>          Machines #2, #3, and #4 all show my wife's printer
> downstairs, as well as another. (Machine #1 does not.) #2 and #4 have
> the other, set to default, as the real machine on #1 -- though for a
> while they kept insisting it did not exist. Machine #3 has the "other"
> printer shown with a URI saying "file: /dev/null" -- and won't let me
> remove it!

You might want to tell us specifically what you did to achieve all this,
rather than just the results.  Very little fiddling should be needed
from a fresh start, but some amount of fiddling might be needed to undo
a pre-mangled system.

On a fresh system, all you should have to do is connect a printer to the
print server computer, and let it sort itself out, or manually set that
printer up on the server.  Or a bit of both (I renamed the automatic
named printer settings to something less annoying).  Whichever way you
go, once the server can print to its own printer, it's working, and
you'd then configure the server to let the rest of the LAN make use of
it.  That's a two-parter, allowing CUPS through the firewall (*), and
configuring CUPS administration options related to sharing (**),

* On my LAN, all the PCs are trusted explicitly, so I took the easy
option of setting the firewall to trust eth0 as a whole, rather than
particular ports.  There's another barrier between the LAN and the
internet.  Firewall on each PC get in the way of print serving, and also
some print clients.  As I recall, it got in the way of automatically
discovering the print server on the LAN.  The print server can
periodically announce its presence, but the firewall stopped that.

** Share out that printer to the LAN but it doesn't need sharing to the
internet, unless you have a mixture of different isolated subnets, where
that option will allow crossing from one subnet to another.  Perhaps you
might want to allow remote administration of the server, and allow users
to cancel any jobs, but that's icing on the cake, it's not needed just
to be able to print.  You may also want the server to include printers
on other CUPS servers, if you had other ones on the premises.  But,
again, that's not needed.  And can get messy if you have several servers
publishing their own printers, plus republishing the other server's
printers.

On the clients, you shouldn't need to do anything.  They should
automatically find out about all the printers available on the LAN, and
automatically list them as printable to.  This should take a few
moments, not ages.  All you should have to do, if you had more than one
choice, would be to pick a default.

Having said that, if you're reconfiguring a system which already had
printers configured all over the place on the clients, you'd want to
remove all those configurations, and then let them find the servers by
themselves, again.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686