Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:12:54 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> I've been advised, more or less btw in an otherwise scarcely related
> thread, to quit using my KVM switch (which has spare USB ports touted by
> the maker especially for printserving) as a printserver.
>
> 	So I plugged the printer (an HP psc 1315v) into my #1 machine;
> and I've been telling Firefox 127.0.0.1:631 on each of the machines, and
> trying to get it to work.

	Monday UPDATE

	I've followed all the kind advice in this thread, and also
fiddled and futzed and fooled between whiles -- chiefly by deleting
superfluous printers that had crept in, a finite series of them, but a
tedious one. I kept deleting till I got down to the one right printer, if
I could, and then configuring that, over and over. And I have a partial
result.

	 Machines #2, #3, and #4 all show my wife's printer downstairs,
as well as another. (Machine #1 does not.) #2 and #4 have the other, set
to default, as the real machine on #1 -- though for a while they kept
insisting it did not exist. Machine #3 has the "other" printer shown with
a URI saying "file: /dev/null" -- and won't let me remove it!

	Actually, #2 and #4 show that, too; they also show a name with
spaces, which #3 is refusing to accept. Possibly related is that in the
midst of all this, CUPS started demanding https instead of http to go
from one of its own locations to another ...

	Machines #2 and #4 have just successfully sent test pages to the
printer on machine #1. Machine #3 failed.

	I'm in process of adding a printer to #3, cloning all the
settings off the others. Maybe after that, and after making it the
default, it will let me delete the useless one ...

	*Later* : #3 keeps rejecting the settings on the other machines,
and leading me to quire different settings -- which also fail.