Re: Fedora / RedHat - The problem

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

3) My daughter's Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista: insert the install
CD *which came with the printer*. Chug chug chug. Printer not working,
in fact not even visible to Vista. Download a later install CD from
hp.com. Still not working. Contact HP Support by email ... dolly back,
fade to black ... Three days later, after half a dozen emails back and
forth, get a newer version of driver CD, which can't be installed
directly but has to be physically burned to a CD. Finally get the thing
sort of working, when it's the right phase of the moon (I'm skipping the
dozen or so system reboots of course).

So, whose fault is all this? The driver belongs to HP, the system
belongs to MS. My answer: the fault is the whole blasted Windows
ecosystem.

That's sort-of ignoring the fact that XP has worked with more equipment than anything else and probably for a longer time than anything else. Blame vista for changing interfaces which is what breaks things. Something Microsoft does every decade or so (and maybe they've learned something from it now) and linux continues to do about every month.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx