Re: OT: find command permissions: how to exclude dir?

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 12:27 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
[...]
.gvfs is using some secret sauce that I don't understand to prevent
root from accessing it.  Is there some ACL stuff going on here?
(getfacl results are boring.) File locking? (lsof says it is not
open.) Corruption? How can it be that root is denied? I wonder what
would happen if I deleted .gvfs and recreated it manually with
identical permissions?

% mount|grep gvfs
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/poc/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=poc)

IOW .gvfs is a mount point for the FUSE user-space filesystem daemon, so
I guess permissions are being handled by FUSE. This is something Gnome
apparently uses for something or other (I've no idea as I use KDE).

You might try the -mount (or -xdev) options to 'find', but that will
also restrict you from crossing into other mounted filesystems.

(Does anyone else think .gvfs is a PITA?)

I usually throw in the -mount option to find on general principles to keep it from walking into isos or nfs mounts that might be in arbitrary places and explicitly list the mount points I want if it has to span them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx