Re: OT: find command permissions: how to exclude dir?

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 12:27 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
[...]
> .gvfs is using some secret sauce that I don't understand to prevent
> root from accessing it.  Is there some ACL stuff going on here?
> (getfacl results are boring.) File locking? (lsof says it is not
> open.) Corruption? How can it be that root is denied? I wonder what
> would happen if I deleted .gvfs and recreated it manually with
> identical permissions?

% mount|grep gvfs
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/poc/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=poc)

IOW .gvfs is a mount point for the FUSE user-space filesystem daemon, so
I guess permissions are being handled by FUSE. This is something Gnome
apparently uses for something or other (I've no idea as I use KDE).

You might try the -mount (or -xdev) options to 'find', but that will
also restrict you from crossing into other mounted filesystems.

(Does anyone else think .gvfs is a PITA?)

poc