Re: Fedora 9 32 or 64 Bit - Which One?

Nifty Fedora Mitch <niftyfedora <at> niftyegg.com> writes:
> Two things: wireless and firefox plugins work smoother on 32 bit for me.

I don't see how wireless would be relates to 32-bit vs. 64-bit at all. As for
browser plugins, that's what nspluginwrapper is for.

> If your laptop disk is not massive, pairs of 32 and 64 bit libs could add
> up and prove problematic for disk space.

That's why Fedora does not install 32-bit multilibs by default now, so you can
install only those you actually need (e.g. yum install nspluginwrapper.i386 if
you want to use 32-bit browser plugins).

> Also since this is a laptop it is possible that the low power cpu, small
> processor cache, memory and disk subsystems would limit any performance
> improvement that 64bit objects might gain.

F9 x86_64 works just fine on my laptop.
Laptops these days have just as much RAM as desktops (usually between 1 and 4
GB). Also because Vi$ta is really memory-hungry and modern laptops are designed
to run it.

        Kevin Kofler