Re: Fedora 9 32 or 64 Bit - Which One?

Am Sonntag, den 26.10.2008, 17:51 -0700 schrieb Agile Aspect:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >
> > For the average desktop user, 64-bit has little or no benefit and is not
> > worth the hassles of dealing with incompatible proprietary code (and
> > yes, there is a hassle).
> I concur.

Wondering about the "hassle", even with proprietary code.

Hassle used to show up, if you try to combine 32 bit and 64 bit code as
running java (Sun's version) oder flash in a 64 bit firefox. Easiest
solution is to use 32 bit firefox, if you really need that stuff. The
Java problem is gone in FC9, if I remember correctly, and there are
alternatives to Adobe's flash plugin (although they may not work with
any web site).

I don't know of any 32 bit application, with can not be used in a 64 bit
Fedora.

The 32 bit and the 64 version of a program have roughly the same memory
footprint (most of the data types use the same amount of bytes, with the
big exception of address pointers, of course)

Peter