Re: Fedora 9 32 or 64 Bit - Which One?

Charlie McVeigh <cbmcveigh <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I apologize if this question has been asked before.   I have a new
> Thinkpad T61 in scheduled to arrive sometime next week.  I want to
> install Fedora 9 on it.   Being as it has a Core 2 Duo processor, I
> assume I can install the 64 bit version of Fedora 9.  My question is
> what are the pros and cons that I need to consider when choosing 32 or
> 64 bit version of Fedora 9?

64-bit is faster (mainly because x86_64 has more registers to use) and it can
run everything 32-bit can (almost all the packages in Fedora are available in
64-bit versions and there are multilibs to run 3rd-party 32-bit-only
binary-only junk), so really there's no good reason to use the obsolete 32-bit
version.

IMHO, it makes no sense to run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit-capable CPU, especially
for x86 (x86_64 is really a huge improvement).

        Kevin Kofler