Re: trends in fedora

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Rex Dieter wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Given that the network isn't brought up until the user logs in

Checking the "activate device when computer starts" option in
system-config-network works nicely for me.

I had the feeling that I needed NM to get wsa working, but I'll try anything at this point. I'll let you know if that helps.

It appears that the current working solution is to start the interface by hand after the system is up, define it in network and keep NM out. It may be that NM simply came in with an upgrade at the same time as the breakage, but I'm not going back.

The proximate cause seems to be that DHCP tried to set up the NIC before it associates, because the supplicant is either not starting early enough or just taking too long to get connected. I about 85% sure of that sequence, most o the time I get associated but no IP, and my little script doesn't start dhclient until the AP is connected.

I just wish upgrade would mean "works better" rather than "works differently if at all." This system was dead reliable before the "security update" came along.

The timing of this startup may well have been right on the edge before the upgrade, and making something faster might be the one thing which made it too fast.

Thanks to all who offered ideas, given the ability to generate a script and no issues about running it being too inconvenient, I'm regarding this as ugly but working.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>