Re: Libraries disappearing from compat-libstdc++-296

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen <at> tmr.com> writes:
Unfortunately people and companies who have critical commercial software for which upgrades are unavailable or unafordable remember those days well.

That's exactly why relying on proprietary software is a bad idea.

That's a really offensive comment. It assumes that business people who use commercial software are just a bunch of clueless assholes. Writing a major applications (a) can cost an order of magnitude more than buying, (b) delays the solution, sometimes for years, and (c) often requires information about hardware which just isn't available. If it weren't for proprietary software many things would never get done at all.

Leave business to business people, who have to do things on time and under budget, and who choose achievable solutions. I don't know what you're good at, but tact and business reality doesn't seem to be in your skill set.

And I'm not much pleased with your counterparts to say that's why relying on open source software is bad. A different set of smug, opinionated blowhards, I heard from them elsewhere on the same topic.

Note: I rarely offend people by accident, if you don't like the tone of my reply, be assured that was my intention, I really didn't like the implications of yours.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>