Re: new kernel will not boot

On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Steve West wrote:
>>>I have compiled a new kernel and it cannot find the filesystem to boot.
>>>How
>>> do I specify in the kernel confg what disk to boot?
>>>
>>>Steve
>>
>> The obvious question is: did you make a new stanza for it in
>> your /boot/grub/grub.conf?
>
>Yes the grub is all set. It does not seem to matter if I use a LVM or not.
>Say's VFM: Cannot open root device "VolGroup00/LogVol00" or unknown block
>(0,0)
>
>Steve

Mmm, I gave up on LVM, as a solution in search of a problem that seemed to
have its own problems as baggage.  So I won't try to advise on that, but just
bring another skuttle of coal to Newcastle.

What I have that makes it pretty easy is a pair of scripts that I wrote years
ago, one to supervise the unpacking and patch application for a new kernel,
and one to actually do the building and writing of it and its initrd
to /boot.  Once that has run, then I edit grub.conf by hand to add the new
kernel.  The scripts aren't 'purty' but they work.

Of particular importance is continuity of the .config's as you move from
kernel to kernel, always copy a working .config file set from the old kernel
to the new one, and do a 'make oldconfig' in order to transfer the known good
settings to the new kernel's .config.  Then of course you can do a 'make
xconfig' or a 'make menuconfig' if you need to change something.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)