Re: F9: System hangs after long inactivity.

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 13:42 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> I have just gotten ahold of my daughter's system and now
> and looking at why is it, that her system hangs after a long
> period of inactive use (ie when she goes to bed, goes to work,
> then comes home to find a hung system).  I tried this myself
> now and find it to be 100% consistent.

Randomly chosen screensavers were infamous for that sort of thing, with
one or more of them crashing a system.  Picking just one to run can test
whether that's a cause.

> I also checked the BIOs, and noted that 'Wake up on Lan' is enabled
> and as far as I can tell, there is no possible way for me to disable it.

That shouldn't be a cause for a crash.  Wake on LAN is a way to make a
powered off PC start booting by sending a trigger sequence to it over
the LAN.  It shouldn't affect anything on a running system.  It's a
function of the LAN card, itself.

> I noticed that someone had reported this same problem, and disabling
> WOL, would prevent the system from shutting down and hang with
> the PS still running

It is possible, that a device configured in a certain way may not shut
down as desired when you shut down a PC.  It's also possible that WOL
status is reset as shut down, so a WOL signal never actually wakes up
the NIC.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686