Re: ftp problem

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
I'm running FC9 on a small LAN that also has some Windows machines. I'd
like to use one of the linux boxes as an FTP server so that the Windows
systems can access a directory on that server. None of this has been
opened to the world outside by opening port 21 on the router -- it's
strictly "in house." Eventually I'll learn Apache, but FTP looks much
simpler for what I'd like to do. (Or so I thought :) Here's what I've
done, following instructions in www.fedoraguide.info:

(1) installed proftpd on the server
(2) added these lines to the end of the /etc/proftpd.conf file:

<Anonymous /home/magnusg/music/>
 User            ftp
 Group            nogroup
 UserAlias          anonymous ftp
 DirFakeUser on ftp
 DirFakeGroup on ftp
 RequireValidShell      off
 MaxClients         10
 DisplayLogin        welcome.msg
 DisplayFirstChdir      .message
 <Directory *>
  <Limit WRITE>
   DenyAll
  </Limit>
 </Directory>
</Anonymous>

(3) on the server, used system-config-services to enable proftpd on run
levels 3 and 5
(4) /etc/init.d/proftpd restart
(5) on the server, used system-config-firewall to make FTP (with
Port/Protocol = 21/tcp) a trusted service
(6) the permissions for the ftp directory look like this:

drwxrwxr-x 17 magnusg magnusg  4096 2008-09-14 18:29 music

But when I try using filezilla from a Windows box, logging in as
anonymous of port 21, I get these messages:

220 FTP server ready
331 anonymous logon OK...
530 unable to set anonymous privileges
530 login incorrect

So I seem to be connecting, but not much else. Googling the error
message leads to others who've had similar problems but (at least so
far) no one with a solution.... Thanks for any tips on how to proceed.

Jerry

Have you tried

   ftp localhost

from the Linux box?

--
Article. VI. Clause 3 of the constitution of the United States states: "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."