Re: EeePC - to Fedora or not?

Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Also, will I have any problems with WiFi,
> which works very well in the current system?

The horrid WIFI on the stock eepc is the reason I'd consider
installing Fedora-9 here.  As far as I can tell, Asus doesn't take bug
reports and doesn't seem to have the manpower to fix brokeness in any
reasonable time frame.  It has been over 6 months since I reported to
support there that the eepc WIFI GUI doesn't accept 64-char hex WIFI
passwords. This is sad because the underlying wpa_supplicant certainly
does.  They just made a silly and easy to correct mistake in their
gui.

The fear I have in switching to Fedora-9 on the eepc is that I don't
want to wear out my flash by needless writes.  Stock OS's tend to
write to disk with wild abandon for all sorts of things that I'd
rather they not if they are writing to flash.  I'd hope that the stock
OS on the eepc is tuned to at least cut out some of these needless
writes.

It might be interesting to instrument Fedora to log a histogram of
which programs write to disk and how often.

Has anyone tried to get Fedora to run from a read-only root file
system?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.