Re: Failed boot cannot find device

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Steve West wrote:
    I am using EXT3 filesystem. I do not know if I built the kernel as a
    module into the kernel, I used the defaults that came with Linux. I
    am using an initrd that cam with Fedora. I do not know how to create
    initrd with the kernel.
Steve

Unless you built the ext3 file system drivers, as well as your disk
controller driver into the kernel, you have no choice but to create
an initrd for your kernel. You can not use one created for another
kernel. You can use the mkinitrd command to create it. (See the
mkinitrd man page on how to use it.)

To elucidate, as root:

	cd /boot
	mkinitrd -f -v initrd-2.6.26.5.img 2.6.26.5

Then edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and make sure the stanza you're
using to boot that kernel has an initrd line like:

	initrd /initrd-2.6.26.5.img

in it.