Icon for link to harddrive device lost when dragged to desktop F9

On KDE3 I can right click on the desktop to create a new link to a harddrive
device, add the harddrive icon, and the link appears on the desktop with the
correct icon.

With KDE4.1.1, I'm having problems. I can create the new link to harddrive
device ok in my home user directory, but when I drag it onto the desktop, the
icon changes from the harddrive icon, to a big gear icon. The link to the
harddrive partition works ok though.

When I right click on this "big gear" icon, and look in icon settings, the
general tab shows the harddrive icon, and the Device tab shows another
instance of the harddrive icon, but alongside the words "Unmounted Icon".

Any ideas how I can resolve the problem, and get the required icon showing on
the desktop, for this link to harddrive device?

I have a bunch of different distros on my 3 machines, all using KDE3, apart
from F9. I am persevering with KDE4, but having used KDE3 since FC1 (which I
still have available on one machine), KDE4 takes a bit of getting used to.

Nigel.