Re: DISCOVERY Re: Why is Firefox such a beast??

Beartooth wrote, On 10/08/2008 12:49 PM:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:03:44 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:

I'm running Firefox under F8 and F9 on five different machines, and it's
a pain on every one of them, albeit in slightly different ways; but the
differences differ, too.

	The first thing they have in common is that it takes forever to
launch -- when it does launch. The second is that it mostly doesn't. It
will try, and the little blue dots will circle for a while, and the
window list on the panel will show a mark for it -- for a while.
Sometimes one or another window will flash up and disappear, usually too
fast even to identify.
	[...]

<SNIP>
There are two things I've long made a practice of moving from machine to machine, either with scp or by sneakermail, whichever seemed easier at the time : FEBE, and my collection of desktop background pictures (aka wallpaper, I believe).

I had noticed a new problem with the pix, but hadn't thought to check for it with FEBE : a lot of files a/o folders would show up in nautilus with a padlock emblem. Lo and behold, the extension folders, and some others, were littered all over with those blasted padlocks.

do the 'padlocks' indicate read only? [I never use those GUI file manglers on anything but MS.]

I had also discovered that I could clear away the padlocks by right-clicking a parent folder, choosing Properties, going to the Permissions tab, and making changes. (Why should there *be* permissions trouble with a file or folder, belonging to user btth on one machine, burned to CD by that user,

Assumption, you burned the file to the CD with out putting it into an archive file, i.e., you did not use tar or zip. When you copied the files you (or the GUI file mangler) told it to keep the permissions it had on the source media, and a CD is _ALWAYS_ read only if you are not using UDF(??), so the files at the destination are read only.

use tar or zip to create an archive of multiple files which then goes on the CD|DVD|USBdrive which you move around, it will give you less surprises.
or learn to use `chmod u+w -R my_moved_dir`

inserted into another machine, then dragged and dropped by the same user into some folder belonging to that user?? Is this yet another betise of SELinux?? It didn't use to happen.)

Anyway, I applied the same method to the padlock-littered firefox folders in my user's .mozilla -- several times, from the firefox folder itself on down -- and the various installs of firefox on F8 and F9 did at least start launching better than before.

<SNIP>

--
Todd Denniston