Re: Kaffeine codecs

Kaffeine is a front-end to xine. The mplayer plugins are located in /usr/lib/codecs and xine understands this. Although kaffeine should recognize this, it doesn't, hence it is necessary to ln -s /usr/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32.

So, then you need the codecs. Go to www.mplayerhq.hu and grab the essential codecs tarball. Unpack it, as root, in /usr/lib/codecs. There is some indication that you will require xine-lib-devel for xine to be able to make use of these mplayer codecs (this might be available from fedora, otherwise livna).

If kaffeine doesn't forget that the codecs weren't there the first time around, make it forget and have the startup wizard rerun by deleting /home/you/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/wizard_stamp* and restart the program.

There is also a package, xine-lib-extras-nonfree from livna, that you should install.

This appears to permit playback of anything I have ever encountered. With this set-up, I have not needed real player or helios player, for example.

While you're at livna, grab libdvdcss so that you can play DVDs in kaffeine, too.