Re: IPV6INIT=no, but does anyway on local network

On Saturday 04 October 2008, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> How does one go about disabling that?
>
>It's not easy.  The Linux kernel automatically assigns a link-local IPv6
>address to any interface that's brought up.  If you don't want to use
>IPv6 at all, you can use /etc/modprobe.conf to prevent the appropriate
>module from being loaded.  (ISTR that it used to be called net-pf-10,
>but that module doesn't seem to exist anymore; I'd try disabling the
>ipv6 module.)
>
>To get rid of the IPv6 address on a particular interface, you should be
>able to use some variation of 'ip addr ...'.
>
>The only way I know of to prevent the kernel from assigning an address
>when an interface is brought up is to set the MTU to a ridiculously low
>value before bringing the interface up.  If the MTU is too low for IPv6
>to work, the kernel won't assign the address.  Once the interface is up,
>you can set the MTU back to what you want and assign an IPv4 address (if
>desired).  Needless to say, this is an ugly hack, and it's not supported
>by the networking scripts.
>
>HTH

No, it doesn't help, but it does explain it somewhat.  In the end, I guess I'm
stuck with it.  But I did not have this problem on the previous motherboard,
so while the reasoning is good, it seemed to me to have been a software
problem.  Both boards are running a 32 bit 2.6.27-rc8 kernel.  One thing I
did find yesterday was that my port forwarded web page access was dead, and
in running that down I noted I was on eth1 with the new mobo.

It seems something in the network scripts

edited /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

to enable it and set it for DHCP.  I use fixed addressing here at the old
farts ranchette, and that address diff meant the Port Forwarding I do in
dd-wrt was wrong.  So I killed the onboot=yes in eth1, and reset the mac
address in ifcfg-eth0 to correspond to the new hardware, did a network
restart and that's back to normal, but still with the 5 second lag at
bringing it up.

Why does the line IPV6INIT=no in ifcfg-eth0 not work?

This strikes me as a bugzilla item.  Or a just ignore it. :)

Now, if I could figure out why grub takes an extra 30 seconds to load and run
at bootup.

Thanks Ian.

--
Cheers, Gene