Re: Desktop AWOL

On Monday 29 September 2008 15:21, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I run FC2 on one of the machines inside our firewall - I just like the
> look and feel of it :-)  Just ten minutes ago, the desktop icons and
> facilities disappeared mid-session.  The icons and files on the desktop
> vanished, right-click on the desktop doesn't bring up a menu and I'm
> stumped.  How do I get it back?  The ~/Desktop directory is still there
> with its contents, but isn't being displayed.
>
> What on earth happened?
>
> Jonathan

Hi Jonathan. As a fellow FC2 user, are you using Gnome, or KDE. I use KDE, and
do remember losing all the icons once before, but can't remember the fix.

I don't use Gnome, but I found something on Google, where someone had messed
with Nautilus, which apparently is responsible for drawing icons, background,
and the right click to get the menu. Perhaps Nautilus crashed, and is why you
lost all the icons, etc.

Have you tried logging out, and backin.

Perhaps try creating a new user, and see if you get the default icons for the
new user.

If you're using KDE like me, I'll try and find out what the fix was.

Nigel.

btw. We need to start an FC2 users club. A bit like the Morris Minor club, but
for ancient distros that still work well.