Re: [OT] Mysql advice

> Nope, the password is the correct password when I do that.  That's not
> my problem.  Really, that in itself /isn't/ a problem.  The problem
> stems from the fact that zenoss wants to be able to automatically have
> root access to mysql to setup the db it uses for monitoring.  And
> because it simply can't enter 'mysql' at the prompt and setup it's
> tables, it refuses to start correctly.

Ahh, I misunderstood the problem. You know the mysql root password.

That means that either you need to tell zenoss (most likely via a config file) the mysql root password or you need to set the mysql root password to nothing allowing zenoss to login without a password.

Will zenoss need root access permanently or only for it's initial set up of a database and associated tables? If it's a permanent thing you really need to find a way to give zenoss the root password. If it is only for the initial setup, you can temperorarly disable the mysql root password, let zenoss do it's thing and then re instantiate the password.

The BEST approach is to give zenoss it's own mysql user account with full privileges on it's database.

If it is any help, I found this post that talks about the zenoss installation specifically regarding the mysql setup portion.
http://lists.zenoss.org/pipermail/zenoss-users/2007/012312.html

Dennis K