Re: FireFox 3 EULA

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Mike Chambers <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff for showing that little snippet, as that *should* be all
> that is needed to drop this WHOLE conversation that was started for
> nothing if someone would had just asked, and someone pointed it out
> earlier anyway.

Since this all started with a Ubuntu bug, perhaps someone with a
Launchpad account should consider being generous enough with their
time to head over there and point out Fedora's current solution to the
problem. There are a couple of comments on the ticket asking how
Fedora has handled this situation.  Someone could be neighbourly and
point out the url to them.  I normally wouldn't suggest that. But
since Ubuntu's handling of this issue has bled over into our
discussion channels, it seems only appropriate that we make sure that
misinformation about how we are handling things doesn't propagate
back.

Though I do find it fascinating that in the "extensive discussions"
with Mozilla that Shuttleworth speaks of in the ticket, the previous
handling of this situation by Fedora has not come up.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/269656/comments/5

If I had a launchpad account, I'd be asking how much due diligence did
Shuttleworth actually do? Since its common knowledge that Fedora is
already shipping firefox 3.x it should have been quite simple for
Shuttleworth or any Canonical employee who was engaged in discussions
with Mozilla to check how Fedora has addressed this issue by doing a
Fedora install...or examining the package payload..or just examining
the spec file in the cvs.

I'm not aware of any factor which would prevent Canonical from
pursuing a similar arrangement in "extensive" discussions with
Mozilla..

-jef"I would only use a launchpad account for evil"spaleta